I'm not one to switch back and forth between game systems. I have played Basic or Labyrinth Lord forever and never felt any need to try anything different. But there is something about the Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells system that seems to fit with the type of S&S game I'd like to run / play in. So what do I like about the game?
- Only three classes: Warrior, Magic-User, and Specialist (kinda miss the cleric, but then again, not so much….)
- Love the scalable power level that magic-users can apply to their casting. I guess it's similar to DCC, but seems less gonzo to me…
- Warriors seem to be pretty badass (at least in initial play testing) assuming they have a relatively good Physique score and use their weapon of choice
- Positive and negative dice
- Luck dice and complications as part of character development
And a lot more… But of course like any good DM, I have a list forming of potential house rules. More to come on that....
But most importantly, SS&SS has got my gaming interest piqued again. And for that I am grateful!