Wednesday, November 5, 2014

PLAY REPORT - Session 1


We meet our band of intrepid explorers as they reach the entry chamber on the first level of Stonehell, far beneath the surface above. The party includes:

Thowin Four Fingers, a fighter
Imorfin the elf
Reldari the cleric, and his torchbearer, Nux
Fretta the Dark, a thief
Balork the Medium, a magic-user and Bursus, his man-at-arms

After a long descent the party finally emerged from the stairs into the middle of a large chamber. The light from their torches revealed a well-travelled place evidenced by the numerous scribblings on the walls and refuse on the stone floor. They saw no one, but to a man were convinced they could perceive distant sounds, although they could not agree on the source.

They left the chamber via one of the corridors running north, passing through an interesting archway which seemed to represent the gaping maw of some demon or devil. Unharmed, they proceeded onwards and soon came to an intersection.

An iron rod stood in a crack in the stony floor in the middle of the intersection. Attached to the rod was a sign and in crude Common they could read that a 'dragon' was to be found down the passage to the left. After some debate the party decided to investigate, all the while doubting the veracity of the sign.

The carved stone corridor gave way to a natural stone passage which soon opened into a large cavern. There the party almost ran headfirst into a group of kobolds who emerged from a side cave. Both groups froze and before they really had the chance to size each other up, one of the dog men startled a nest of snakes which were nesting behind some large stones. The long serpents hissed as they spilled out from their hiding place.

The two groups joined forces instinctively against the new threat. Balork pulled forth a flask of oil and tossed it in the direction of the snakes. It was close, but unfortunately not a direct hit. The mage threw his torch anyway and the flame ignited the oil.

The snakes, giant spitting cobras each at least eight feet long, were startled by the flame and retreated into the crevices. But unfortunately not before a serpent spat its venom into the eyes of one of the kobolds.

The kobolds, grateful for the party's intervention, quickly departed with their dying comrade. Perhaps they knew of a way to counter the poison, but if they did, it was probably too late for that one. Before the dog men left they did answer the mystery of the dragon sign from the intersection. Apparently an oversized lizard had taken up residence in these caves.

Not wanting to test themselves against the lizard-beast, they headed back to the intersection and went east, finding a chamber filled with refuse. A path led through the mess to an opening in the opposite wall. Fretta began poking about the piles of trash, hoping to find something of value. Instead she uncovered another giant snake and bolted from the room.

The rest of the party had no choice but to follow after and soon found her in the entry chamber, cursing snakes and all forms of reptiles. After some talking they convinced her that it was too early to leave the dungeon and that treasure certainly awaited them if they remained diligent.

(To be continued….)

No comments:

Post a Comment